Thursday 22 May 2014

The Burger Joint – The Back Room


“She was much saner before her son had left. Old lady is neither taking a day off, nor letting us.” Martin was constantly babbling about Mary and I was still gazing at Ishita.
Her messy curls, comatose eyes, skin pale like the blood have been sucked out of her, shaky hands.

 “Dude your shirt, it’s gone useless.” He snapped me out of my imaginary world where I was wondering about Ishita

‘Oh sharks! I have a meeting in half an hour.’ Is what I should have said, instead I got up and reached Mary breaking up the queue at here cash counter.

“Hey Mary, who is she?” I couldn't resist myself anymore; I know I ought to be less curious about things that doesn't affects me, which indeed is nowhere near wrong according to the trend of today’s youth philosophy? Anyways, who am I to play the blame game here back to burger joint.

“She is just another customer here, and nothing else. Why are you putting your nose in everybody’s life?” Mary yelled at me again and it didn't bother me, man I have gotten used to it already.

“Hey you there, take the shirt from back room. Go and help the poor fella Martin.” The janitor said pointing towards the door at the corner.

“Here take it, all cleaned and ironed.” Martin said

“Thanks, it will help. I have a meeting coming up.” I said while trying to sneak up to another room which was labelled storage room but was open somewhat and I caught the glimpse of a little kid in there

“Yea and that’ll be 100 bucks. Don’t worry just kidding.” Martin tried to stop me from going any further near storage room.

Feeling the awkwardness I asked Martin “So how do you end up working here?”

“I was a teenager when I stepped first in this city, snowy day; the storm had just left the city. Every motel was full, and I didn't have any money back then. I was hungry when I found this place. Mary was having a tough time that day, lot of customers, small toddler William. I offered her help in serving meals in exchange of my own meal, she agreed and here I am still serving for my meals.” I was about to doze off but thankfully martin stopped talking, and offer me some water.

“Whose photos are those?” I asked pointing to a wall full of photographs

“Oh those are of William's.” he replied

“Can I have a look?” I moved closer without waiting for his permission

“So that’s you, and that’s Mary, and this must be William.” I confirmed pointing a guy in the uniform

“Yes he is William.”

“And who is she? She seems familiar.” I found a picture of William hugging someone

Before martin could answer someone came out from the storage room, where I saw that kid playing and laughing. And that person cleared out the picture who William with, in that photo and why Mary yelled at me when I asked about Ishita.


Yes it was Ishita who was playing with the kid in there; she was the one with William in that photograph. And I suppose Mary did not approve her relation with William in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment