Monday 19 May 2014

The Burger Joint - The Man She Was Waiting For


I continued to go for my meal there, as is was near my office, lunch and evening snack were accountable for Burger Joint only. And as expected the old lady continued to check out the door. This activity made me curious, and day by day my curiosity level got higher. And one day, I decided to go up-to her and asked...

“Hello mam, how are you?”

“What do you want? I don't have any openings here; neither do I want to donate anything. And also we don't give free meals here.” she yelled at me and oh boy I got to know what others felt when she howl at them.

“Nothing about all you mentioned, but wanted to ask you something. Can I?”

“Go on and be quick I have lot of other things to do.”

“Why do you look at the door every time the bell rang and door is opened? And I know it's not because of you caring about customer, it seems you are waiting for someone.”

“That Mister is none of your business.” She freaked out a little and continued to shout at me.

“I am sorry if that hurts you, I was just being curious, that's why I couldn’t control my urge to ask.”

“Well you know what nobody ever sensed that I was waiting for him. How you did it?”

“I just had a feeling, that’s it…”

“He promised me to come back. He promised me no matter what would happen he will come back.” As she started talking I also started imagining the scenario

“But you know it’s inevitable for me, if not today it will be some other day. I will have to leave.” The man with dusky voice said and with this another lightning struck the ground

“But it’s all I have got. You are the only important thing in my life.” The old lady with younger voice said

“We have gone through this many times before, and this was the day we have been preparing for.”  The man said with a heavy voice now

“Oh that’s bullshit. I don’t want you to go away from me.” She burst into tears as well as the clouds outside, it was pouring hard as if Mother Nature was also against this separation.

“And that’s all I remembered from that night, he left me standing out right there.” The old lady said pointing the porch.

“But who was he?” I asked with a heavy heart.

She reached her drawer and took out a badge with the name William Mary Watson.

“My son Will. And I am sure my homeland is proud of him, I lost William couple of years back but still I have felt his presence here.”  Mary cried

So she was waiting for his son who had been to the war and died for the country. My feelings changed from pity to respect. Since that day, I was a regular customer of The Burger Joint, where I noticed many other souls searching for one thing or another.

But the next encounter I had was with Ishita, another regular customer whom I noticed when I bumped into her, and she spilled coffee all over me.

“And there she goes again, this girl can never handle herself, Martin go clean that mess.” Mary shouted in the background from behind her counter.



No comments:

Post a Comment